Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Friday that the United States’ enterprises and people will eventually have to swallow the bitter fruits brought by the US government’s groundless suppression of targeted Chinese enterprises after the US Federal Communications Commission, or FCC, said the plan to strip Huawei from rural telecoms will cost billions more than estimated.
Reports said the FCC estimated that the cost of stripping Huawei and other Chinese firms from US telecom infrastructure would be as high as $5.3 billion, far exceeding the $1.9 billion budget passed by the US Congress last year.
“I have noticed comments saying that those US companies not getting compensation will get into trouble and may be forced to replace equipment at their own expense,” Wang told a daily news conference in Beijing.
China firmly opposes US politicians, out of their selfish interests, to overstretch the concept of national security and use national power to suppress China’s enterprises, Wang said.
Noting that US politicians run against the trend of history, Wang said their moves are doomed to fail.
The US continues to politicize, instrumentalize and weaponize economic cooperation in an attempt to forge the so-called small yard with high fences, Wang noted.
He warned that such a move will not only seriously damage Chinese enterprises’ interests, but will also severely harm US interests and impact the stability of global industrial and supply chains.
Washington is also urged to stop erroneous words and deeds that harm all but benefit none, and to provide relevant Chinese enterprises with a market environment that is open, fair, just and nondiscriminatory, the spokesman added.